Take time. Be inspired. Stop and see. Escpape for a wile

You are in Burgundy


The municipality of Malay, with 5 hamlets Le Bourg, Cortemblin, Ougy, Seugne and La Place, is in the Grosne Valley, near the Roman road linking Macon with Autun. Remains of a Roman bridge over the Grosne, visible until the Second World War, suggests a Gallo-Roman occupation on the site.

Malay has two Romanesque churches: one in the borough, an old priory (1095-1790) and the other in the hamlet of Ougy.


The church of Malay Notre-Dame-de-la-Nativité is cited as a waypoint on an initiatory path to Compostela in the early twelfth century, in the book by Henri Vincenot: the Compostela stars. 

The ecclesia of Maleto * is cited in the Bullarium Cluniacense ** from 1095. She was a rich agricultural deanery of the Abbey of Cluny.

Between the Xth and the thirteenth century the abaye Cluny is one area Malay administered by the abbey which build farm buildings and varisembablement of fortifications. Malay provides to Cluny cereals, wine, chicken, cheese ... In the fifteenth century, some local texts are reporting destruction during the wars of religion.

The church was built in three stages:

• the Eastern end in the eleventh century (apse and transept)

• the Western part in the twelfth century (naves)

• the top of the tower in more recent times

It has been the subject of a classification as a historical monument since June 16, 1931

* The word ecclesia gave French Church (followers of assembly) or ecclesiastical. Ecclesia de Maleto: Church of malay

** Papal Documents prepared for the benefit of the Abbey of Cluny, they gather the texts of about 500 documents that date from the years 928 to 1668, and a list of all the monasteries associated with the abbey of Cluny by contracts collegiality.


The Church of St. Martin of Ougy is located in the heart of the hamlet of Ougy. It was built in the late eleventh century, its foundation was probably related to the lordship of Uxelles. It has hardly been altered since its origin which has allowed him to park his Cistercian character.

It is the subject of a classification as historical monuments since 1929.

Church of Malay Le Bourg: the frescoes in the apse date from the north fifteenth century

The church of Malay, view from the green way.


The washouse in Ougy built in 1857

The Saint Martin's Church in Ougy is cited in 1095. It is a small Romanesque church of the mid-twelfth century. The church is a spare style that we also find in the churches of Taizé Ameugny, Confrançon, Chissey, La Chapelle-sous-Brancion,

L’église Saint-Martin à Ougy, possède un style dépouillé qu'on retrouve aux églises de Taizé, Ameugny, Confrançon, Chissey et La Chapelle-sous-Brancion, 


Brother Alois became community prior after the death of Brother Roger on 16 August 2005.


Times of prayers at Taizé

Monday to Saturday

8.15 am Morning prayer

12.20 pm Midday prayer

8.30 pm Evening prayer

Friday evening

8.30 pm Evening prayer, followed by prayer around the cross

Saturday evening

8.30 pm Evening prayer, with celebration of the light of the resurrection


10.00 am Eucharist

8.30 pm Evening prayer

Pope John Paul II and Brother Roger in 1986


The Abbey of Cluny, in Saône-et-Loire, was founded on September 2nd 909 or 910 by the Duke of Aquitaine and Count of Auvergne William I.

Cluny is the symbol of the monastic revival in the West; the abbey was a reformation home to the Benedictine rule and an intellectual center leading Classical Middle Age.

Opening hours:


• Free or guided tours, daily. (except 1st January/May/November, November 11th, December 25th)

• Guided tour: about 2 hours

• April, May, June, September: 9h30 - 18h

• July and August: 9h30 - 19h

• October-March: 9h30 - 17h


Last admission: 1 hour before closing time.


The castle of Cormatin is located in the municipality of Cormatin, Saône-et-Loire, in an island on the Grosne river.

Built in the early seventeenth century, it preserves rare original details such as the staircase and some decorations.

The castle is a historical monument in 1862 and in 2003 and various parts of the park are recorded in 1995.


Brancion (Xe, XII, XIV) is the Southern most important stronghold of Burgundy, famous for its strategic location and its history.

Jocerand Brancion, companion of Saint Louis, killed during the crusades at the Battle of Mansura.

Châtellenie Ducale (late thirteenth) and Royale, it remained a living example of military architecture of the Middle Ages.